Monday, April 13, 2009

Super-everything

Why is it that so many women feel that they have to do it all? They have to be a super mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend and employee. Not only do you fulfill all of these roles but you have to look good while doing it. Basically we want to be perfect. If we are not, we at least need to appear that way. I tell ya, I spread myself so thin sometimes trying to please everyone, including myself, that I start to feel like a failure. Just because I didn't accomplish the fifty million things on my to-do list for the day does not mean the world is going to end. So why does it feel that way?

It really is incredible the way we stress ourselves out. Over the weekend a co-worker of mine asked me how I was doing and I responded with, "good, but a little stressed out". You know what was one of the biggest things stressing me out? Macaroni salad. That's right, you read that correctly, macaroni salad. I was in charge of bringing the macaroni salad to my sister in-laws house for Easter and with my busy weekend I didn't know when I would have the time to make it. Thinking about this now I can't believe I actually told someone I was stressed about making a dang macaroni salad! If this sounds a little familiar to you then let me suggest this: put your priorities in check. To do this I think we need to change our thought process first. Decide what is really important in your life then check yourself on a daily basis. Better yet, an hourly basis. What's on your to-do list for the day? Is it stressing you out? Is it really important or just macaroni salad important? This might help to put things into perspective.

1 comment:

  1. AHHH! thank you! thank you! I can so realte....I can breathe now...whew, I'm not perfect!

    ReplyDelete