Thursday, January 28, 2010

Every day is new

I have to say one of the most rewarding and fun things about being a parent is watching your child learn and grow. From day one they are little sponges who absorb the world around them, just waiting to put their observations into action. Even though we know the day will come that a normal healthy child will say "mama" or "dada" it is still the most amazing thing when they do. I am such typical mom who gushes with pride and joy when my daughter says something new. Stella learning to speak really seemed like one day she didn't and the next day she did. Every day after that was a new word, then two, three and now to many to count.

From very early on Stella has loved books. Reading has always been part of our daily routine, before nap and bedtime. Now that she is a little older she brings you a book and pretty much demands that you read it to her that very moment. Although it's not always convenient can you really complain that your toddler wants to read? So I try to oblige her as often as I can. Another thing that amazes me is that she knows the entire alphabet already. I don't mean to brag, oh wait, I do, but she is barely two. I'm sure there are many children that have learned them sooner and I've seen those babies on T.V. that can read but this is MY kid. So it's pretty cool.

All this active learning happening on a daily basis has got me feeling like I'm not keeping up and I want to make the most of her learning abilities. I have no desire to push her further than she is ready to go but I feel like you can't be passive in this process. Its up to me as her mother to educate myself on her development and how I can help her learn. I find it fascinating. I think the most important thing I can do for her right now is provide her with the opportunities to learn and let her go at her own pace.

I don't think it's ever possible for me to stay a step ahead of her. Toddlers are just too darn smart and they learn at a quick an unpredictable pace. I hope her knowledge of the alphabet will translate into becoming an early reader but if it doesn't she is still my little genius. I look forward to seeing what this next year has in store for her.

1 comment: